Pittsfield – Let’s do a time warp again – or maybe for the first time. Jump to the left, then step to the right…
Experts and novices alike will have a chance to “Time Warp” together at The Colonial Theater when Berkshire Theater Group presents “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” hosted by Drag Queen Nancy Nogood, at 9pm on Saturday, October 29.
A homage to sci-fi, horror, B-movies, and rock music, debuted in 1975 and quickly became a cult favorite, fans were drawn to its quirky characters and quickly interacted with the characters using props, quotes, adding lines, and dancing.
“Fortunate seems to have smiled at Brad and Janet and they have found the help their plight requires. Or are they…?” the film’s narrator sings.
In the movie, Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon), stuck in a flat tire during a downpour, discover the fearsome mansion of Dr. Frank N Furter (Tim Curry), a transvestite scientist. With their innocence lost, Brad and Janet meet a haunt of wild characters, including swinging biker (Meet Luv) and fearsome butler Riff Ruff (Richard O’Brien). Through dance numbers and rock songs, Frank-N-Furter has revealed his latest creation: a man named “Rocky.”
“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is famous for the audience participation roles in different times and scenes during the movie. In the past, toasts, rice, guns and parachutes were part of the ammunition. These days, most theaters condone its use – for obvious reasons. Props suitable for colonial theater are available for purchase online ($7) or at the venue for the night of the show ($10). Kits – enough for one person – include balloon, glow stick, Time Warp pilot, rubber glove, noise maker, confetti paper, toilet paper, party hat, foam, paper plates, cards, instructions, and bag.
The evening will begin with a meet-and-greet and photo opportunity with host of the evening Nancy Nogood, drag artist/performer who currently holds the title of Miss Berkshire and member of The Pink Room: David Lynch Burlesque. The pre-show presentation by Nogood will include an interactive props tutorial. Movie-goers are encouraged to wear costumes, but they are not mandatory.
if you go
what or what: “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” hosted by Drag Queen Nancy Nogood
When: 9 p.m., Saturday, October 29
where: Colonial Theatre, 111 South Street, Pittsfield
the tickets: $20
Information: 413-997-4444, berkshiretheatregroup.org
Advisor: This movie is rated R for adult content and is recommended for ages 17 and up.
COVID safety: Masks are recommended but no longer mandatory.
- Do not throw objects on the screen at any time.
- To encourage safety and enjoyment of the movie by all attendees, any bags brought into the theater may be subject to a search for unsuitable/disallowed items.
- Buy online for $7; $10 at the door.
- What’s Included: Balloon, glow stick, Time Warp pilot, rubber glove, fuss, confetti, toilet paper, party hat, foam, paper plates, cards, instructions and bag.
- Not included, but allowed: Bell (If you didn’t bring the bell, use your keys.), Rope, Big Cards Janet shows.
- Props are not allowed in the theater: Rice, water guns, toast, sausages, plum lighters, matches or other flammable items due to fire symbol restrictions. (Lighter weight phone apps are allowed.)