Spring brings flowers in full bloom, warm weather, flip-flops and traveling! Many people are leaving winter behind to venture to destinations across the world. And RDU is busy this season.
From the novice traveler to the seasoned one, below are lists of tips to turn even the first time traveler into a pro!
Preparation for travel starts even before you set foot out of your home. By knowing what to expect you’ll ensure a stress-free trip.
- Check your flight status before leaving the airport to know of any potential delays or cancelations
- Arrive 90 minutes early no matter your destination
- Remember that most airlines begin the boarding process at least 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time
More people are flying out of RDU. Our parking garages can fill on peak travel days. RDU has more than 20,000 spaces in our parking garage and Park & Ride Lots
- Check roadside message boards at airport entrances for parking status updates
- Plan to arrive 90 minutes early for parking, check-in and security screening
- Snap a photo of your location in the garage to remember where you parked upon arrival.
On April 4, ParkRDU, the airport’s transformed parking experience launches. Learn more about the program, which includes online booking beginning May 1.
Security Screening Tips
After you check–in and have your ticket, the next step is security screening.
Expedite the security process by removing coats, jackets, blazers and shoes. Cell phones, pagers, laptops and other electronic devices should be placed in bins for screening.
Be aware that you can only bring one bag and one personal litem (such as a purse or briefcase) as a carry-on. Avoid spending more time in line than you have to by utilizing these simple tips:
- Check TSA.gov for a list of items permitted and not-permitted through the security checkpoint
- Make sure all your personal items are with you at all times and labeled
- Ensure liquids are less than 3 ounces in size and fit inside a quart sized clear plastic bag
- All child-related equipment must go through security
- Let children know ahead of time what to expect at the security line
Before you can say, ‘are we there yet?’ you will be landing stress-free at your final destination. Find more travel tips on rdu.com.