The past few weeks have been busy for the Terminal 1 construction team. After a very cold winter forced the push back of the original opening date, crews are putting the finishing touches on our newest passenger facility in preparation for a new planned opening date of Sunday, April 13, 2014.
Beginning that day, if you are a Southwest or Air Tran passenger, you’ll start flying out of the new Terminal 1 and be among the first to have an entirely new travel experience in that building. That makes Saturday, April 12 the last day for flights out of the existing Terminal 1, parts of which have been in service since 1955.
So, what are some of the highlights to expect?
- If you park in the garage, the Terminal 1 Hourly section will once again be on the lower level of the garage and you’ll use the underground walkway to access the terminal. That’ll make for a much shorter (and indoor) walk from your car to your gate.
- Arriving or departing by car or shuttle, you’ll use the new Terminal 1 curbside with large overhead canopies to keep you dry should it be a wet day.
- Three beautiful art installations. We’re very excited for you to get to see these up close.
- An expanded security checkpoint. There are now four lanes on one level with ample space for queuing and reassembling your belongings after screening.
- A new array of shops and restaurants. You can enjoy a steak and drink at ACC American Café, a wrap at La Tapenade or a burger and shake at Char Grill. Not to mention finding the latest fashions at Marshall-Rousso or Ruby blue or local products such as KimBees teas at Flight Stop.
- Spacious, comfortable gate waiting areas with plenty of seats and ample power outlets. Many of the seats in our new restaurants will also allow you to plug in while you dine.
- For those landing at RDU, you’ll find a very quick walk to bag claim, using a new corridor with a panoramic view of the airfield. As you exit, you’ll see a large Meeting Place for friends and family to greet you after your journey.
Win a Sneak Peek Tour!
Would you like to get a sneak peek of Terminal 1 before it opens? Share your memories of Terminal 1 for a chance to get a tour with you and a guest as well as an opportunity to sample some of the new food offerings from The Shops of RDU. Enter today for a chance to win.
We look forward to opening Terminal 1 and providing you with a world-class travel experience in our newest passenger facility!