I can’t believe how quickly this year is flying by. Following is a recap of activity at Raleigh-Durham International Airport for the third quarter of 2013.
As this quarter came to a close, RDU began its transition from the summer vacation travel period to holiday preparation. Work on Terminal 1 continued and our air service development team continued reaching out to the business community to learn more about where their travels are taking them.
All numbers are for July – September 2013
Number of passengers departing RDU: 1,166,068
Number of departing passengers same period 2012: 1,195,814
Number of passengers arriving at RDU: 1,184,110
Number departing passengers same period 2012: 1,205,507
The Air Service
- United Airlines recently announced it will offer holiday service between RDU and San Francisco beginning December 19 through January 6. This is in addition to its daily non-stop service to the popular high-tech business destination.
- Delta Air Lines will also offer a seasonal, three week, flight between RDU and Los Angeles beginning December 19 through January 4. Delta currently offers service to LA seven days a week.
- Both of these flights are welcome additions to RDU’s schedule and illustrate the airlines’ interest in our region.
- One of our primary focuses as one of the region’s economic engines is air service development.
- To support our air service development efforts, RDU staff is reaching out to local business and community leaders to find out more about their current and future air service needs.
- A survey recently went out to this group. We will use this information to help direct our air service development efforts and to illustrate to airlines our region’s air service needs.
- RDU is set to reopen the main portion of Terminal 1 on March 4. To get a sneak peek of the terminal before it opens, mark your calendar for Feb. 15, 2014, when we will hold an open house for the public. VIP events for local elected officials will be held the week before the open house.
- The modernization of what was formerly known as the “blue box,” will include more natural lighting, a larger security checkpoint and new shops and restaurants, including the nation’s first ACC American Café and airport-based Char-Grill.
As we head into the holiday season and a very busy early 2014, keep looking for great things from RDU!