48 Hours In is a monthly series highlighting non-stop destinations from RDU. Read more blogs in the series.
Need an idea for a perfect Fall getaway? Consider Indianapolis. Less than a two hour flight from RDU to Indianapolis via Delta, there’s a wealth of things to enjoy and experience in the heart of Hoosier Country.
Explore the Sports
From zip-line adventures to tours of the iconic Indianapolis Speedway and the excitement of an Indianapolis Colts football game to the tranquility of a peaceful stroll in a garden, take part in one of the wide range of sports activities in Indiana’s capitol city.
- Just outside downtown in Eagle Creek Scenic Park is the perfect place to swing from the trees on a two to three hour treetop adventure at Go Ape Treetop Adventure.
- Take a tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the IMS Hall of Fame, which grants you access to many behind-the-scenes parts of the track. You’ll see why this has been one of the top motor-racing facilities since opening in 1909.
- Catch an Indianapolis Colts Game at LucasOil Stadium in downtown Indy. Make sure to visit the Fan Zone for activities before the game and the Colts in Motion traveling museum.
- There are nearly two dozen parks and gardens throughout Indianapolis offering you the opportunity to enjoy the Midwestern fall air, view tropical plants from around the world and explore the banks of the White River.
Explore the Attractions
There are many museums and cultural attractions in Indianapolis that appeal to kids of all ages.
- ACC fans will no doubt enjoy the NCAA Hall of Champions with its many interactive exhibits, including a downhill ski simulator and a 1930’s style gymnasium.
- Go back in time at the Conner Prairie Interactive History Park and explore life in the 19th century in the Midwest. The park is complete with a living pioneer village and a Native American camp.
- Get to know a different culture at Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, one of only two such museums east of the Mississippi River.
- Touch a shark at the Indianapolis Zoo’s shark touch tank and go underwater to meet dolphins, along with more than 350 other animal species throughout the 70-acre park.
Explore the Shops
There are three unique shopping districts in Indianapolis, so if shopping is up your alley, make plans to visit at least one.
- Fountain Square Cultural District is located in a funky neighborhood featuring the work of local artists and unique antique shops.
- Mass Ave Arts District features art galleries and a wealth of eclectic boutique shops.
- In the heart of downtown, find the Wholesale District, with the Circle Centre Mall surrounded by the finest hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues.
Go and Enjoy
When going, be sure to book your flight on one of Delta’s two daily non-stop flights to Indianapolis from RDU. Thanks to Visit Indy for the great trip suggestions. What’s your favorite thing to do in Indy? Tell me below!