The countdown is on! Terminal 1 is set to open on March 2, 2014. But, you don’t have to wait until then to go inside the building and see how the modernization project looks. We have re-launched the Terminal 1 section of rdu.com with more information and images of the terminal.
Here are some of the highlights of the Terminal 1 section:
- Map of Terminal 1. You can use this basic directory layout to preview the new path through the terminal from the parking garage to ticketing and onto the concourse. See where the restaurants and art will be located. We’ll add to this map as other elements are finalized, including the pre-security concession, which has yet to be named.
- Construction Photos. At least twice monthly, but we hope more frequently, we will post the latest photos of construction inside the building so that you can come along for the ride as the building’s finishing elements are put into place.
- Videos. Find links to videos on the project where we take you inside the terminal to see construction in action. Also, get ready for more in the coming weeks. We’re planning to add new time lapse videos, as well as take you on tours of the building throughout the Fall.
- Shops and Restaurants. Have you heard about all the great shops and restaurants planned for Terminal 1? Char-Grill, ACC American Café and Marshall-Rousso are just a few. Find out what’s ahead for your trip and see detailed renderings many of shops and restaurants in Terminal 1.
- Art. Terminal 1 is going to be home to three new pieces of art to welcome visitors to central and eastern North Carolina. We also have a plan to bring the Wright Brothers terrazzo floor piece from the north section of Terminal 1 into the new building.
There’s also more. Brush up on the basics of the project. Learn about the history of Terminal 1. And, find out need-to-know information if you’re flying via Southwest or AirTran while construction is underway.
Are you excited about the reopening of Terminal 1? Tell me what you’re looking forward to in the comments below.